This blog post was written by geocaching superwoman and Geocaching HQ employee, Annie Love.
If you are an obsessed geocacher, then you probably like to build your Geocaching profile stats such as “Most caches found in a single day”, “Highest altitude geocache”, or “Farthest away from home”. One statistic that can be trickier is an “Icon Run”, which is logging as many different cache types in one day as possible. But most geocachers, with a just little guidance and a full tank of gas, can bulk up their icon stats. Here’s how!
Find geocaching icons for your account*
You can find the icons you’ve already earned by going to your profile page and selecting the Geocache tab. Along the left side you’ll see the icons you’ve earned, and along the right side you’ll see the geocaches you’ve hidden. Here’s an example of a prolific geocacher’s profile with several icons accumulated:
Starting with easily accessible icons
It may be easy to find eight icons in one day depending on geocache saturation in your area. Since the common cache types can be placed by any geocacher, the likelihood of finding them in your area may be higher. You may have to be creative about the date and then factor in an Event Cache.
Geocaching icons that are easily accessible
Traditional Cache Cache In Trash Out® (CITO
Multi-Cache Mystery or Puzzle Cache
Letterbox Hybrid EarthCache
Event Cache Wherigo
How to add even more icons in one day
But wait, there’s more! It is possible to get more than eight icons in one day, however, this is where things start to get tricky. For this, you need to cache in a specific location or have a temporary cache type available near you. For example, if you visit us at Geocaching HQ in Seattle, WA, you may be lucky enough to get the eight icons above plus Virtual, Lab, Webcam, Geocaching HQ (GCK25B), and a Project APE (GC1169) icons. That’s a whopping 13 icons! Though rare, you may even find yourself with the chance to earn a Mega- or Giga-Event icon if one is conveniently located in the area during your visit.
Additionally, if you plan your icon run in Europe at the right time, you may end up with the chance to earn the GPS Adventure Exhibit icon since it occasionally travels to European Mega/Giga-Events. This summer the GPS Maze will make its way to Austria (GC7C99M) at the Summer, Sun & Fun 2018 Mega-Event (GC6V0JF).
Geocaching icons not easily accessible
Virtual Cache Project APE Cache
Mega-Event Cache Webcam Cache
Giga-Event Cache GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit
Geocaching HQ Lab Cache
Geocaching icons that are no longer available
There are a few icons that have been retired thus impossible for newer geocachers to ever obtain. If you have one of these, consider yourself lucky!
Lost and Found Event Cache
Groundspeak Lost and Found Celebration
Groundspeak Block Party
Locationless (Reverse) Cache
Set yourself up for Icon Run success
- Drive time — some rare cache types may be spread pretty far. Can you feasibly drive to all the cache locations in one day while obeying all traffic laws? Map out the best route that keeps the event times in mind.
- Ensure you have plenty of fuel in your car and be aware of where you may need to fuel up during the day.
- If caching with your smartphone, charge your phone in the car whenever you’re driving.
- Pack lots of water and snacks — you’ll need your energy!
- If your group is larger and has multiple cars, bring two-way radios (walkie-talkies) to communicate with each other in areas that may not have cell coverage.
Up-level with Event Caches
- To maximize potential icons, look for a Mega/Giga-Event with a high saturation of the other cache types in the area.
- Mega/Giga-Events typically have Lab Caches associated with them, providing an easy additional icon.
- For any events you attend, plan your day so that you spend the time to enjoy them. Don’t just show up at a CITO, sign the log, and leave — you’re there to help clean up where we cache. So take some time to give back on behalf of the game we all love.
- Consider hosting your own event to help with your icon run. But make sure you meet all event requirements and truly focus on the event.
- If you’re a Premium member, download an offline List on the Geocaching® app.
- If possible, choose locations with a Webcam and/or Virtual close by.
- Search for Multi-Caches with only two stages.
- Have backup caches in your list in case you have a change of plans or log a DNF. For example, solve additional Mystery Caches in advance.
- As tempting as it may be, try not to stop for that extra ‘Traditional that’s just 0.1 miles away!’ Time will get away from you!
How many icons have you found in a day? Tell us your story.
*Geocaching.com is transitioning the styles of our icons — we’ve featured the newer styles in most of this blog.The older versions are still visible on your profile page. The newer versions are visible on the map.